Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ghutra project

Being asked to investigate the spatial and assembly techniques of a specific piece of clothing in my third project in ARC321-Representation 2, I focused my project on the 'ghutra' which is a Middle-Eastern patterned cloth wrapped around the head, for men. It has been derived from Bedouin lifestyle and as a protection from the sun but is now morphed into Arab identity and culture, with each country having their own derived 'style' (I focused on the style often worn in the UAE).

This project really jump-started a lot of things for me in terms of professional work & experience and haven't yet included it in my portfolio yet so I thought I should at least get in on the blog..

Photo of me wearing the ghutra













Cartoon illustration showing some of the different ways to wear the ghutra














Side Elevational View














Top Elevational view


















Understanding how to fold the ghutra + Sectional views at different intersections














Composite drawing that focuses on the correlation between the body (i.e. arms, hands, head) and the clothing.

















Conceptual Model
of the ghutra